Show your patriotic spirit with a red, white, and blue dessert. This Patriotic Cake makes the cutest dessert for your Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veteran’s Day, or summer party. So for this Independence Day party enjoy a bit of sweetness with these irresistible 4th of July cakes.
4th of July Cake
If you are looking for a super cute, patriotic dessert idea? This red, white and blue Mini Cakes recipe is it!
4th of July Party Ideas
Some of the ingredients you will need to make this homemade 4th of July Cake is in this picture below. However, I have the full ingredients and recipe to print out towards the bottom of the page.
affiliate links can be found on this blog at no cost to you.
Patriotic Mini Cakes
In a large bowl, whisk together your eggs and sugar. Add vanilla and canola oil and whisk it until completely combined.
Once your batter is formed, add the blue gel food coloring and mix it until it’s completely tinted.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour your batter onto a lined baking sheet and even it out with a spatula then pop it in the oven and bake it for about 15-20 minutes.
Make sure you allow your cake to cool and once it’s cooled, cut out 12 circles using your circular cookie cutter.
It’s best to use a circular cookie cutter that’s about 3 inches in diameter to cut your cakes out. Save your cake scraps to make cake pops. We love cake pops in this house.
4th of July Cake Decorating Ideas
After making your homemade icing you can scoop your red buttercream into a piping bag and get ready to frost.
How to Make Mini Cakes
Since there is a short assembly time required, you can keep it simple by using a white box cake mix, or go all out and use this homemade cake recipe.
Frost your round mini cakes, so it is cake, frosting, cake, frosting.
Roll out your white fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick and use a mini star-shaped cookie cutter to cut at least 18 stars.
Decorate the top of each cake with 3 white fondant stars.
4th of July Cupcakes
This year, we’re taking the patriotic theme all the way through dessert with these festive, mini cakes.
There’s nothing better than serving homemade treats after a delicious 4th of July dinner before you head out to watch the fireworks. Enjoy!
PIN These Patriotic Mini Cakes to Save
4th of July Recipes
Studies have shown that if you like this, you will also love the following recipes. I have pulled them together for you right here!
Patriotic Mini Cake
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- ¼ tsp blue gel food coloring
- Circular cookie cutter about 3 inches in diameter
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp red gel food coloring
- 4-6 oz. white fondant
- Mini star-shaped cookie cutter
To Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add vanilla and canola oil and whisk until completely combined.
- In thirds, slowly add dry ingredients into a large bowl of wet ingredients, alternating with the milk.
- Once the batter is formed, add blue gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Pour batter onto a lined baking sheet and even it out with a spatula.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and once cooled, cut out 12 circles using your cookie cutter.
To Decorate your Cakes
- Make the buttercream by beating together butter, icing sugar, milk and cocoa powder with an electric mixer. Start on low speed and gradually increase to high.
- Once buttercream starts to take form (creamy and forms semi-stiff peaks), add red food coloring. Mix until tinted.
- Scoop your red buttercream into a piping bag and frost 6 of your circular mini cakes. Add an unfrosted circular mini cake on top.
- Frost the top of each layered cake.
- Roll out your white fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Use your star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out approx. 18 stars.
- Decorate the top of each cake with 3 fondant stars.
- Serve and enjoy!